Djokovic withdraws from Cincinnati Open

Djokovic withdraws from Cincinnati Open

PARIS (Agencies): Defending champion Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from next week’s Cincinnati Open on the heels of his triumph in the singles event at the Paris Olympics, organisers said on Thursday. The announcement of the Serbian’s decision to skip the U.S. Open tune-up event comes four days after he beat Carlos Alcaraz in Paris to become only the fifth player to win all four singles Grand Slams and the Olympic title during their careers. “We certainly understand that it is a quick turnaround from his Olympic triumph to come to Cincinnati,” Tournament Director Bob Moran said in a news release. “His title run here last year was so memorable. We are eager to see him on court again soon.” Djokovic’s withdrawal moves Frenchman Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard into the draw. Last year in Cincinnati, which was Djokovic’s first event on U.S. soil in two years because of COVID-19 restrictions, the Serbian beat Alcaraz in the final before going to the U.S. Open where he won the most recent of his 24 Grand Slam titles.

 

...

Related post

Sinner wins Italian Open to complete Masters collection

Sinner wins Italian Open to complete Masters collection

ROME (Agencies): Jannik Sinner beat Norway’s Casper Ruud 6-4 6-4 in the Italian Open final on Sunday to complete a sweep…
Di Giannantonio wins Catalan Grand Prix, Alex Marquez hurt in horror crash

Di Giannantonio wins Catalan Grand Prix, Alex Marquez hurt…

BARCELONA (Agencies): Ducati rider Fabio Di Giannantonio triumphed in a crash-hit Catalunya MotoGP on Sunday which saw Alex Marquez taken to…
England’s Rai wins PGA Championship for first major title

England’s Rai wins PGA Championship for first major title

NEWTOWN SQUARE (Agencies): Aaron Rai won his first major title on Sunday by capturing the PGA Championship, making birdies on four…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *