Italy confirms Spalletti as manager after Euros exit

Italy confirms Spalletti as manager after Euros exit

ROME (Agencies): Italy will keep Luciano Spalletti as manager until 2026 as planned despite their Euro 2024 campaigning ending in the last 16, Italian Football Federation President Gabriele Gravina said on Sunday. Spalletti’s side were beaten 2-0 by Switzerland on Saturday, having disappointed in their Euros title defence, but the manager, who replaced Roberto Mancini last August on a contract until 2026, will be given more time. “Yesterday there was a long chat with the coach and I think it is unthinkable to solve problems by abandoning a project that is multi-year, you cannot abandon the project after eight or nine months,” Gravina told reporters. “A coach who has been in charge for nine or 10 games is central to the project, and he cannot always have all the players available. “(Spalletti) has our confidence. He must work because in 60 days there is already a new challenge.” While confirming the coach, Gravina reflected on the disappointment of Euro 2024, where they were outclassed by Spain and needed a last-minute goal against Croatia to stay in the tournament before the final knockout blow by Switzerland.

“What unfortunately remains is the disappointment of not having been able to demonstrate to those who followed us everything that has been done,” Gravina said. “We have not shown the character to make up for the shortcomings that unfortunately we have. Last night we shared the responsibilities with everyone. We are all responsible.” Gravina also expressed his concerns that Serie A clubs do not give enough space to young Italian players, and Spalletti reiterated that need as he intends to freshen up the squad. “Yesterday’s game knocks us back to zero and we have to start from there. We need to rejuvenate the squad and recreate a group,” Spalletti said. “I haven’t had the answers I was looking for so far and it is necessary to recreate from below, a group that has new strengths. “It’s difficult to find another (Giorgio) Chiellini or another (Leonardo) Bonucci, but by giving space to (Riccardo) Calafiori you can find important players again.” Spalletti’s first job when taking over was to qualify for the Euros, but he is well aware that they have failed to meet expectations since then and is already looking to the future. “In yesterday’s game we took an important step backwards that cannot be accepted,” he said. “But we start from there, and I think I know what to do.”

...

Related post

Sinner wins Italian Open to complete Masters collection

Sinner wins Italian Open to complete Masters collection

ROME (Agencies): Jannik Sinner beat Norway’s Casper Ruud 6-4 6-4 in the Italian Open final on Sunday to complete a sweep…
Di Giannantonio wins Catalan Grand Prix, Alex Marquez hurt in horror crash

Di Giannantonio wins Catalan Grand Prix, Alex Marquez hurt…

BARCELONA (Agencies): Ducati rider Fabio Di Giannantonio triumphed in a crash-hit Catalunya MotoGP on Sunday which saw Alex Marquez taken to…
England’s Rai wins PGA Championship for first major title

England’s Rai wins PGA Championship for first major title

NEWTOWN SQUARE (Agencies): Aaron Rai won his first major title on Sunday by capturing the PGA Championship, making birdies on four…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *