LIV Golf takes another swing at world ranking points

LIV Golf takes another swing at world ranking points

PARIS (Agencies): LIV Golf is making a fresh bid to crack the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) after striking out two years ago, setting up another potential showdown over the Saudi Arabia-backed circuit’s place in professional golf’s pecking order. LIV Golf’s request two years ago was unanimously rejected by OWGR due to concerns about the unconventional 54-hole format with no cuts while the events featured the same 48 players all season. They formally withdrew an application to have players receive world ranking points from its tournaments in March last year but OWGR said they received a new application on June 30 and had commenced a review process. “The OWGR Board is committed to a thorough evaluation process of all applications,” Trevor Immelman, the chairman of the OWGR board of directors, said in a statement on Friday. “LIV’s application will be reviewed in accordance with OWGR’s criteria to ensure fairness, integrity and consistency.” “We appreciate the interest of LIV Golf – and all Tours – in contributing to the global landscape of men’s professional golf through OWGR. Further updates will be provided as the review progresses.”

The stakes are high for LIV’s star-studded roster as world rankings play a key role in determining entry into golf’s four majors. The lack of ranking points has seen LIV Golf players tumble down the rankings, with former world number one Dustin Johnson now ranked number 957 in the OWGR. LIV Golf CEO Scott O’Neil said they were hopeful of seeing progress in the review and approval process ahead of the 2026 major season. “LIV Golf is committed to working together with the Official World Golf Ranking and its board to ensure the very best players are competing in the game’s most prestigious events,” O’Neil said. “We are confident our application addresses the outstanding questions that exist to support a more global, all-encompassing, and accurate ranking system.”

 

 

...

Related post

Bangladesh complete 2-0 Test series whitewash over Pakistan

Bangladesh complete 2-0 Test series whitewash over Pakistan

DHAKA (Agencies): Bangladesh defeated Pakistan by 78 runs in the second Test at Sylhet International Cricket Stadium on Wednesday to clinch…
Arsenal become Premier League champions for first time in 22 years

Arsenal become Premier League champions for first time in…

LONDON (Agencies): Arsenal ended their 22-year wait to win the Premier League title on Tuesday when they were confirmed as champions…
Fakhar Zaman, Saim Ayub ruled out of ODI series against Australia

Fakhar Zaman, Saim Ayub ruled out of ODI series…

Staff Report LAHORE: Opening batters Fakhar Zaman and Saim Ayub have been ruled out of the upcoming one-day international (ODI) series…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *