Reigning champion Swiatek withdraws from China Open citing personal reasons

Reigning champion Swiatek withdraws from China Open citing personal reasons

PARIS (Agencies):  World number one Iga Swiatek has pulled out of the China Open for personal reasons, the five-times Grand Slam champion said on Friday. The 23-year-old Pole won last year’s China Open after beating Russian Liudmila Samsonova in straight sets in the final. Swiatek withdrew from the Canadian Open and Korea Open citing fatigue having won the French Open title in June and a bronze medal at the Paris 2024 Olympics before losing to American Jessica Pegula in the U.S. Open quarter-finals. “Due to personal matters, I’m forced to withdraw from the China Open in Beijing,” Swiatek said in a statement. “I’m very sorry as I had an amazing time playing and winning this tournament last year and was really looking forward to being back there. “I know that the fans will experience great tennis there and I’m sorry I won’t be a part of it this time.” The WTA 1000 event will run from Sept. 25 to Oct. 6.

 

 

 

 

...

Related post

Sinner wins Italian Open to complete Masters collection

Sinner wins Italian Open to complete Masters collection

ROME (Agencies): Jannik Sinner beat Norway’s Casper Ruud 6-4 6-4 in the Italian Open final on Sunday to complete a sweep…
Di Giannantonio wins Catalan Grand Prix, Alex Marquez hurt in horror crash

Di Giannantonio wins Catalan Grand Prix, Alex Marquez hurt…

BARCELONA (Agencies): Ducati rider Fabio Di Giannantonio triumphed in a crash-hit Catalunya MotoGP on Sunday which saw Alex Marquez taken to…
England’s Rai wins PGA Championship for first major title

England’s Rai wins PGA Championship for first major title

NEWTOWN SQUARE (Agencies): Aaron Rai won his first major title on Sunday by capturing the PGA Championship, making birdies on four…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *