World Boxing apologises after naming Khelif in mandatory sex testing announcement

World Boxing apologises after naming Khelif in mandatory sex testing announcement

PARIS (Agencies): World Boxing has apologised after Imane Khelif was named in their announcement on mandatory sex testing for all boxers in its competitions, saying the Paris Olympics gold medallist’s privacy should have been protected. The global body, which will oversee boxing competitions in the 2028 Olympics after being granted provisional recognition by the International Olympic Committee, made the announcement last week, less than a year after Khelif won gold in Paris amid a gender-eligibility row. The announcement specifically said the body had sent a letter to the Algerian Boxing Federation saying Khelif “may not participate in the female category” of any World Boxing event until she undergoes the test. However, a source said World Boxing president Boris van der Vorst had personally written to Algerian Boxing Federation president Abdelkader Abbas to apologise for including Khelif’s name. Van der Vorst said World Boxing should have made a greater effort to protect Khelif’s privacy. In last week’s announcement, World Boxing said all athletes over the age of 18 will have to undertake a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) genetic test, which can be conducted by a nasal or mouth swab, saliva or blood. Khelif and the Algerian Boxing Federation could not be immediately reached for comment. The country’s federation joined World Boxing in September, one of more than 100 national federations that have joined the body since it was established in 2023.

...

Related post

Bangladesh complete 2-0 Test series whitewash over Pakistan

Bangladesh complete 2-0 Test series whitewash over Pakistan

DHAKA (Agencies): Bangladesh defeated Pakistan by 78 runs in the second Test at Sylhet International Cricket Stadium on Wednesday to clinch…
Arsenal become Premier League champions for first time in 22 years

Arsenal become Premier League champions for first time in…

LONDON (Agencies): Arsenal ended their 22-year wait to win the Premier League title on Tuesday when they were confirmed as champions…
Fakhar Zaman, Saim Ayub ruled out of ODI series against Australia

Fakhar Zaman, Saim Ayub ruled out of ODI series…

Staff Report LAHORE: Opening batters Fakhar Zaman and Saim Ayub have been ruled out of the upcoming one-day international (ODI) series…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *