Murray’s Wimbledon career over as Raducanu pulls out of doubles

Murray’s Wimbledon career over as Raducanu pulls out of doubles

LONDON (Agencies): Andy Murray’s Wimbledon career is over after Emma Raducanu pulled out of their planned appearance in the mixed doubles. Former world number one Murray, 37, was due to play alongside his fellow Briton on Saturday evening at the All England Club. Raducanu, 21, said she has “some stiffness” in her right wrist. She moved into the fourth round of the women’s singles with a dominant two-set win over Greek ninth seed Maria Sakkari on Friday. “I have decided to make the very tough decision to withdraw from the mixed doubles,” she said. “I’m disappointed as I was really looking forward to playing with Andy but I’ve got to take care.” Murray, a two-time singles champion at Wimbledon, was playing at SW19 for the last time before retiring later this year. The Scot was said to be “disappointed” that he was unable to play alongside 2021 US Open champion Raducanu, who missed Wimbledon last year after having surgery on both wrists. Soon after the announcement, Murray’s mother Judy –––- in response to a post on X from television presenter Marcus Buckland describing Raducanu’s decision as “astonishing” –––- wrote: “Yes, astonishing.” After a string of negative responses, she wrote on Sunday: “Not sure anyone understands sarcasm these days. Pretty sure the scheduling… will have played a major part in any decision-making.” Murray was not permitted to find a replacement partner for Raducanu under tournament rules because the draw had already been made. Murray and Raducanu, who were set to play China’s Zhang Shuai and El Salvador’s Marcelo Arevalo, have been replaced by an alternate pairing. It means Murray made his final appearance on Thursday when he lost alongside older brother Jamie in the men’s doubles. A video montage of Murray’s career was played on the Centre Court big screen after the match, leaving the former world number one in tears as thousands of fans showed their appreciation. Murray pulled out of the singles on Tuesday as he continues to recover from a back operation on 22 June. The three-time major champion is planning to retire later this year, with the Paris 2024 Olympic Games set to be his final event.

 

...

Related post

Sinner wins Italian Open to complete Masters collection

Sinner wins Italian Open to complete Masters collection

ROME (Agencies): Jannik Sinner beat Norway’s Casper Ruud 6-4 6-4 in the Italian Open final on Sunday to complete a sweep…
Di Giannantonio wins Catalan Grand Prix, Alex Marquez hurt in horror crash

Di Giannantonio wins Catalan Grand Prix, Alex Marquez hurt…

BARCELONA (Agencies): Ducati rider Fabio Di Giannantonio triumphed in a crash-hit Catalunya MotoGP on Sunday which saw Alex Marquez taken to…
England’s Rai wins PGA Championship for first major title

England’s Rai wins PGA Championship for first major title

NEWTOWN SQUARE (Agencies): Aaron Rai won his first major title on Sunday by capturing the PGA Championship, making birdies on four…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *